At Prosperity Now, we believe that “prosperity” starts with financial security—not being one paycheck away from financial disaster. It gains momentum with financial stability – having savings to obtain assets that build wealth, like a house or an education. And it continues with financial mobility – the opportunity to climb the economic ladder for a brighter future.
Why We’re Here
Nearly 50 million people in this country are working hard every day to make ends meet. They’re doing everything right to provide for their children. Many of them hold two or three jobs. They pay their taxes. And yet they’re barely making ends meet – let alone making a better life for themselves and their kids.
- For more than one-third of all households and more than half of households of color, financial ruin is one crisis away.
- Nearly half of consumers can’t get an affordable loan to advance their aspirations or cover an emergency.
- One in five pay more than they should for basic financial services.
- And if average Black family wealth continues to grow at the same pace it has over the past three decades, it would take Black families 228 years, and Latino families 84 years, to amass the same amount of wealth White families have today.
When most of the people in our country are just getting by, rather than getting ahead, something is broken. Prosperity Now is working to make it right.
How We Work
- We work with service providers to develop, test and scale proven approaches to building wealth.
- We engage lawmakers at all levels of government to ensure they have the knowledge and will needed to advance policies that enable meaningful mobility.
- We conduct cutting-edge research on strategies that provide financial empowerment for low- and moderate-income families.
- We equip advocates with the data and tools they need to fight for a more prosperous economy.
- We connect a community of constituents eager to open doors to opportunity.
- We collaborate with like-minded nonprofits and think-tanks across the country to ensure everyone can prosper.
Where We Work
Too many families and individuals in our country, especially those of limited income and people of color, have too far to go to take advantage of opportunities that are already available to a select few among us. To ensure everyone has the chance to prosper, we serve a broad, diverse audience across the nation. Visit our program map to learn about the programs and organizations we work with.
Quick links: Annual Reports | History & Highlights
Stories of Our Impact
"Owning our new home finally gives us a sense of wealth and roots; it's something that is ours."
The 1:1 Fund matches special Children's Savings Account (CSA) deposits dollar-for-dollar to put education within reach.
I like to tell other people about programs: "If they’re working for me, they can work for you.”