ALC Session Spotlight: Children's Savings
In just five weeks, 1,400 asset builders will descend on Washington for the 2016 Assets Learning Conference. Over the next week, we'll be highlighting several of the 80+ sessions from which attendees will have to choose. If you want to get in on the action and participate in these sessions, it's not too late! Register for the ALC by Friday, September 2 to guarantee your seat at the table and save $100!
If you're interested in putting higher education within reach for all families, here's your personalized ALC agenda:
- Opening Plenary: Reclaiming the Opportunity Economy (Wednesday, September 28, 9 am)Prosperity Now President Andrea Levere will lead a vibrant discussion of the State of the Field, illustrated by insights from consumers about their own financial capability journeys. In addition, IRS Commissioner John Koskinen will welcome the many attendees of this year's ALC who use tax time to build the financial security of taxpayers in their communities.
- CSAs 101: A Road Map to Designing and Launching Your Children's Savings Program (Wednesday, September 28, 2:15 pm)Join us for an introductory session on Children's Savings Accounts based on Prosperity Now's program design guide, Investing in Dreams. We will provide an overview of key considerations when establishing a new CSA program, and representatives from four CSA programs will also be present to share how their programs work, as well as to address participants' questions.
- Research on Children's Savings: Recent Findings and Implications for Policy and Practice (Thursday, September 29, 10:15 am)Recent research indicates that Children's Savings Accounts may have profound effects on both participating children and their families. Speakers in this session will discuss their latest findings, including how CSAs affect children's and parents' college expectations, the savings behavior of families, children's development and more. Speakers will also discuss the implications of these findings for CSA policy and program design.
- CSA Fundraising 102: How to Pitch Your CSA Program to Funders (Friday, September 30, 10:15 am)One of the most critical—and often most challenging—steps in launching a CSA initiative is securing a commitment of resources from those willing and able to fund such an effort. The ability to secure such commitments depends not only on identifying the right set of potential donors, but also on making the case effectively to these donors. Attendees in this session will learn about the potential sources of funding for CSA programs and how they can use research and other tools to build the case for their CSA program to foundations, corporations and individuals.
- Advocating for Change: Advancing CSA Policy at the State and Local Levels (Friday, September 30, 11:45 am)This session will focus on the opportunities and challenges for further adoption of children's savings policies by elected and administrative policymakers. Officials and advocates from the state and city levels will discuss the reasons they support children's savings programs and share ideas for gaining additional support from public officials across the political spectrum.
These are just a small sampling of all this year's ALC has to offer. Check out the full agenda here.
We hope to see you in Washington, DC, September 28-30! Learn more and register today at assetsconference.org.