Prosperity Now Welcomes 15 New Community Champions
This fall, Prosperity Now opened its 2018 Community Champions application to organizations and coalitions interested in becoming better advocates for their clients. We were pleased to see applications from across the country and a variety of specializations including coalition building, consumer protections, the Earned Income Tax Credit, affordable homeownership, financial coaching, advocacy and service delivery.
Community Champions are state, local and Native groups that are leaders and conveners in their community. They are committed to mobilizing and advancing policy around consumer protections, the safety net, tax equity and affordable homeownership. Prosperity Now works with Community Champions to advance federal and state policy; and develop the knowledge, skills and capacity of these Champions to become stronger and more effective leaders.
This year, we welcomed 15 new Community Champions from 13 states. For the first time, we have representation in Kentucky, West Virginia and South Dakota. Altogether, the Prosperity Now Community now has 93 Community Champions in 45 states and Washington, DC.
The new Community Champions are:
- Belmont Housing Resources for WNY, Inc. (Buffalo, NY)
- Build Wealth Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN)
- Community Empowerment Fund (Durham, NC)
- Corporation for Economic Opportunity (Columbia, SC)
- Fahe (Berea, KY)
- First Peoples Fund (Rapid City, SD)
- Metropolitan Family Service (Portland, OR)
- Neighborhood Improvement Association INC (Savannah, GA)
- Omaha EITC Coalition (Omaha, NE)
- Sound Outreach (Tacoma, WA)
- The Houston Area Urban League (Houston, TX)
- United Way of Greater Mercer County (Lawrenceville, NJ)
- United Way of Northern New Jersey (Bridgewater, NJ)
- United Way of the Greater Capital Region (Albany, NY)
- United Way of the River Cities (Huntington, WV)
Community Champion applications are accepted once a year, but there are still many opportunities to get involved and build your leadership within the Community. Prosperity Now Community networks provide opportunities to talk with and learn from your peers around issues like free tax preparation, financial coaching, savings, racial equity and more. Join one of our networks!