The African American Financial Capability Initiative (AAFCI) Brief Release
UPDATED (Feb. 21, 2019) - Watch the complete footage from this event below!
Prosperity Now’s Racial Wealth Divide Initiative (RWDI) will host an event to reveal the insights of the three year-long African American Financial Capability Initiative (AAFCI), an initiative funded by the Northwest Area Foundation (NWAF). RWDI helped 30+ partnering organizations to build and implement community-centered financial stability pilot projects to improve and protect the economic security of African Americans in six cities: Des Moines, Iowa; Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota; Portland, Oregon; Seattle and Tacoma, Washington. The AAFCI Communities of Practice were each tasked with designing and implementing pilot projects to strengthen asset-building services; sharpening policy advocacy strategies; and growing leadership capacity to benefit local communities. Prosperity Now’s RWDI team will also showcase their unique approach to technical assistance for local organizations working to innovate economic systems through a racial equity lens.
Featured speakers (Read full bios here.)
- Andrea Levere - President, Prosperity Now
- Lillian Singh - Director of Racial Wealth Divide Initiative, Prosperity Now
- Kevin Walker - President and CEO, Northwest Area Foundation
- Dr. Kilolo Kijakazi - Urban Institute Fellow and Director, Integrated Financial Coaching Project
- Dr. Darrick Hamilton - Executive Director, Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity
- Pierre Joseph - Program Officer, Solidago Foundation
- Gary Cunningham - President and CEO, Metropolitan Economic Development Association
- Leon Garnett - Chief Operations Officer, Byrd Barr Place
- Deidre DeJear - Owner, Caleo Enterprises
- Ambreasha Frazier - Project Manager, Minneapolis Urban League